" In and Around The Adirondack Park"

           Adirondack's Interactive Internet Newsmagazine   ... stories, essays, articles ... direct from Adirondackers

 

Tour the Park

Articles

Conceirge Ctr.

History

Tall Tales

Essays

Submissions

         

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Welcome to Hadley, NY_________

    

  

Hadley is one of the most northerly towns of Saratoga County.  It is bounded on the north and east by the county line, on the south by Corinth and on the west by Day.  The town is defined as follows in the Revised Statutes:

     The town of Hadley shall contain all that part of said county bounded, northerly and easterly, by the bounds of the county, southerly by Corinth, and westerly, by Day:

     The surface of the town is rough and hilly and for the most part thickly wooded. The Kayaderosseras Range occupies the southern part of the town.  Mount Anthony (the iron mountain), its highest peak, lies in the southeastern part of Hadley.  The Sacandaga River winds through the southern part.  There are no lakes or other streams of importance in the town.  The Adirondack railroad runs nearly north and south through the extreme eastern part of the town.

     Richard Hilton, who came into the town in 1788, is reputed to have been the first settler in the town. Alexander Stewart came in 1790, Daniel Dayton in 1796 and Elijah Ellis in 1800.  The latter built the first saw mill in town on the Sacandaga River. Jonathan Flanders had the first tavern.

     Conklingville and Hadley are the only villages. The former is located on the Sacandaga in the western part of the town.  It was founded in 1848 by Gurdon Conkling. It has several industries, the most important of which is the woodenware factory operated for many years by Benjamin Jenkins. Hadley lies at the mouth of the Sacandaga River, and is practically a part of the village of Luzerne in Warren County.

     The Free-Will Baptist church of Hadley was organized in 1826, the Wesleyan Methodist church in 1844, the Conklingville Presbyterian church in 1854, St. John's Episcopal church of Conklingville in 1868. An Odd Fellows lodge was instituted at Conklingvile in 1851, and a lodge of Good Templars in 1869.

     Hadley was formed from Greenfield in 1801, but then comprised the present towns of Hadley, Corinth and a part of Day. In 1819 it was reduced to its present dimensions.

 

Reference:  http://history.rays-place.com/index.htm


    

 

| Home Page |   Tour the ParkArticles |   Concierge  |  History Tall TalesBulletin | Advertise with us | E-mail |