Town of Schroon was formed from Crown Point on March 20th, 1804. The town of
Minerva was taken off on the 7th of March, 1817, and a part re-annexed to Crown
Point February 26th, 1840. It lies near the center of the south border of the
county and is bounded north by the town of North Hudson; east by Crown Point and
Ticonderoga; south by Warren county and the town of Minerva, and west by
The surface of the
town is exceedingly diversified and picturesque. In the southeast part it is
mountainous, portions of the Kayaderosseras range extending into that section,
and the west and northwest portions are occupied by the Schroon range. Between
these elevated regions and extending across the town nearly in its center is a
beautiful and fertile valley, through which flows the waters of the Schroon
River, which, near the center of the town, broadens out into the lovely Schroon
lake, which reaches across the southern line of the town.
Of the mountain peaks in the town, Mount Pharaoh is the
highest; it is located in the southeast part and is about 3,000 feet above tide.
There are many other lesser peaks which have only local names or none at all.
The principal stream is the Schroon River, which forms a portion of the upper
waters of the noble Hudson. There are numerous creeks of clear water that rise
in the elevated part of the town and flow into the many picturesque lakes and
ponds which are scattered throughout the town. The largest of these are Paradox
Lake, in the northeastern part, the waters of which empty into the Schroon;
Pharaoh lake in the southeast part at the foot of Mount Pharaoh, the waters
flowing by way of a small brook into Schroon lake; Crane pond, Crab pond, Goose
pond, Spectacle pond, Pyramid lake, Thurman pond, Rogers pond, and others of
minor importance. These natural features render the locality a favorite resort
of sportsmen, and within a few years past the beauties of Schroon lake and
vicinity have led to the erection of many first-class hotels, where
pleasure-seekers and others in quest of recuperation of health, find summer
homes offering attractions.
The soil of the town is in the valleys of a
rich alluvial character, and in the elevated parts a thin sandy loam. Nearly
one-half of the town is capable of cultivation, though perhaps not more than
one-third can be successfully and profitably worked. Iron ore is found in
various parts but not in sufficient purity and abundance to make its working
profitable; black lead or graphite is also found. This town was settled about
the year 1797, at which period Samuel Scribner, Moses Pettee, Thomas Leland,
Simeon Rawson, Benjamin Bowker and other pioneers came in and began the work of
making for themselves and posterity homes in the wilderness.
Simeon Rawson located previous to the year 1800 about a mile above Schroon Lake
village, on the place now occupied by Seneca Rawson. He came from Shrewsbury,
Vt. He established soon after his arrival a small tannery, the first, and, for
many years, the only one in the town. This he carried on in connection with his
other labor until about 1818, when he removed to the site of the village at the
lake and located his tannery there. His sons were Clark, Simeon, Safford and
Josiah. Ashley P. Rawson, of Schroon Lake, is a grandson.
lands in this town were opened to settlement at an early day, one of the
incentives to which was the construction of what has become known as the old
State road, to which we have often alluded, and which ran from Sandy Hill
northward to the Canada line, passing along the Schroon valley. Another early
highway that benefited the town was that constructed between 1840 and 1845,
running from Lake Champlain to Carthage in Jefferson county, and passing through
Other settlers came in almost simultaneously with Mr. Rawson.
Samuel Scribner located about two miles north of the site of Schroon Lake
village, and Moses Pettee in the same vicinity, on the State road, on the farm
now occupied by Edward Lockwood.
Joseph Wyman settled near the falls of
the Schroon early in the century; his brother John also located here and they
had a distillery there in early days. A son of Joseph Wyman now lives in Crown
Benajmin Bowker, one of the earliest settlers, located on the
State road, first on the site of the present Pickhardt place and then removed to
about three miles north of the site of Schroon Lake village. He had one son who
lived and died near the old Baptist church; his name was also Benjamin. Two
other sons, Charles and John, came into the town, but subsequently removed to
Shoreham. There were three or four daughters in the family.
Garfield settled on the east side of the river, about two miles from the lake;
he was one of the first settlers and had two sons, Selucius and Leman, who lived
and died in the town. The former has two sons living in the town. Jackson
Garfield, who lives on or near the old homestead, is a grandson.-
Moor was among the earliest settlers and located on the Schroon flats, near the
river. Elijah M. Rounds now occupies that farm.
George Whitney settled
early about five miles south of the site of Schroon Lake village, on the lake
shore. Two of his sons, George and Ira, now live in the village.
Cornelius Travers settled on the site of South Schroon. He came from Duchess
county and died on his homestead, leaving descendants in the town.
Jeremiah Lockwood, who was born March 21st, 1764, settled on the site of the old
Lockwood tavern about 1810, coming from Lanesboro, Mass. He built his first
house in 1811, and the next one in 1827, where he opened a tavern which was for
many years and down to about the breaking out of the late war, a popular house.
The place is now occupied by Wiliam Fullen. His Sons were Leander J. Clark, Abel
D. and Jeremiah, jr. Linus C. Lockwood, now living north of Schroon Lake village
is a son of Clark.
Elihu Griswold, familiarly known to old residents as
"Deacon" Griswold, settled early in the century at what has been called Alder
Meadow. He was a man of intelligence and married the widow of Mr. Grosvenor who
was drowned in Paradox lake in a bay which has since borne his name. One of his
daughters married Hiram H. Smith, a prominent man in the community, who lives on
the homestead. John Wiswell was also an early settler in this neighborhood.
Thomas Leland was one of the prominent early settlers and located where George
Whitney now lives; he engaged in farming and lumbering. He had two sons, one of
whom died young; the other is J. M. Leland, now keeping a drug store in Schroon
Wolcott Tyrrell came into the town soon after the beginning of the century with
his father, Benajah Tyrrell, and located about two miles south of the site of
Schroon Lake village, where Charles Bowker now lives. He had three sons, who
reside in the town, was a prominent citizen and held the office of first judge
for a number of years.
Among other very early settlers were: Benjamin
Barnes, who located near South Schroon, where his grandson, Benjamin O., now
lives. James Tubbs settled on Paradox lake and his brother Enoch near by. Jabez
Smith located in the southwest part, and Ebenezer Bailey, a Revolutionary
soldier and pensioner, at South Schroon. William Armistead settled at the foot
of the lake and raised a large family; they all removed to Ohio. Starr Platt
came into the town in 1814, and located where Mrs. Erastus Root now lives, north
of Schroon Lake village. He had four children, a daughter becoming the wife of
Erastus Root and now occupying the homestead. His father was Jabez Platt who
came in from Lanesboro, Mass. Adjoining the farm of Starr Platt lived Daniel
We cannot trace the record of early settlers farther, except as
they may appear in describing the industries of the town. Those already named
comprised most of the prominent pioneers who came here when the country was an
unbroken wilderness and amid untold hardships and arduous toils, laid the
foundations of their future prosperous homes and an intelligent community. As
the settlements increased additional roads were laid out mills were built on the
numerous streams wherever there was water power, schools were established and
religious meetings and societies organized. The first school was taught soon
after settlement began by Clark Rawson, son of Simeon Rawson, about one and a
half miles north of the present Schroon Lake village. This was a primitive
educational institution, but it paved the way for the numerous neat
school-houses that now give excellent privileges to the young of the town.
A saw-mill was built at an early day at the foot of Paradox lake by Joseph
Richards, and a grist-mill not long afterward by David Stowell. The saw-mill
subsequently passed into the hands of Charles Harris and Joseph Weed, the latter
of Ticonderoga, and one of the heaviest lumbermen in the county. Both of these
mills are long since gone down. Most of the town was originally covered with a
heavy forest growth, and in common with the early settlers of all this region,
the inhabitants turned their attention largely to lumbering as the readiest
means of both clearing up their lands and securing a prompt return for their
labor before agriculture could be extensively followed.
The lumber interest in this town began to be considerably
developed as early as 1820 and soon assumed paramount importance. Logs were cut
in great numbers and driven down the river through the lake and thus to Glens
Falls and Sandy Hill, for manufacture into lumber. Many mills, as we have said,
were also built on the various streams of the town and large quantities of
lumber were sawed and transported to market; but these mills soon declined in
importance through the wholesale driving of logs, which robbed them of business,
and nearly all of them have been long abandoned. There were mills at Alder
Meadow, Crane pond, Paradox lake, Long pond. A steam mill is now running at
South Schroon and at Schroon Lake. The lumber interest reached its height from
about 1830 to 1845. At the present time by far the larger share of the valuable
timber of the town is cut off although many logs have been run down the river in
recent years, from the forests farther to the north and west.
have been made to work the iron ores that are 'found to some extent in the town
and more abundantly in the adjoining town of Crown Point. A forge was built
before 1830 at the Schroon falls, by Horace Hall. This was worked on ore brought
from the Paradox district and the product transported to market via Crown Point.
Of the Scholield ore bed, which was opened by Mr. Hall in 1828, we find the
following description in Watson's History of Essex County: "Bar iron was at that
time made in the Schroon forge from the ore of this mine, which was worked by
various proprietors until 1845, when operations were suspended. An average of
two hundred tons of iron was made during the above period, which established and
maintained the highest character in the market. . . . The ore yields fifty per
cent. of iron of the first class. The vein is only from three to four feet in
thickness and has been worked about two hundred and fifty feet in length and
from twenty to sixty feet in depth." This bed was worked as late as 1870 by John
Roth and the ore used in his forges in Schroon with success.
bed lies about two miles from Paradox lake and was opened by A. P. Skiff in the
year 1857. It subsequently passed to the possession of Mr. Roth. The general
character of the ore is similar to that of the Schofield bed, but the vein is
small and was never worked with very much profit, although many thousand dollars
were expended in developing it in the belief that the vein would widen out.
What was known as the "head of Paradox forge" was built in 1864 and owned by
John Roth. It first contained two fires but a third was introduced. The charcoal
for its operation was burned in pits at the forge and the ore was taken from the
vein last above described, producing an excellent quality of iron, but at such
cost including transportation, that it soon became unprofitable as prices
The manufacture of leather in large tanneries has received
considerable attention in the town and for several years was a predominant
industry in Schroon, Minerva, and North Hudson. The vast hemlock forests
furnished unlimited quantities of bark and compensated thus for the
transportation of hides and leather to and from the tanneries. Schroon Lake
tannery was erected in 1852 by Lorenzo Hall and subsequently became the property
of Milton Sawyer, of Glens Falls. It was situated on a small brook about a mile
west of Schroon lake. Its capacity was sixteen thousand sides a year. It is not
now in operation. The Schroon tannery was erected in 1861 at the mouth of the
brook just mentioned, by William C. Potter and Daniel Wyman. It passed through
various hands before it was closed. Wickham tannery was built at the mouth of
the same stream and was operated by Benjamin Wickham chiefly for the manufacture
of upper leather. Hoffman tannery, six miles west of Mr. Sawyer's Schroon Lake
tannery, was built in 1856 by Bracket & Boyle and passed into possession of Mr.
Sawyer. 'There have been other tanning operations in the town and vicinity,
which, perhaps, need not be detailed; the industry is declining, with the others
that have depended upon the forests for their prosperity, while the inhabitants
are turning more of their attention and energy from year to year to agriculture.
No event of great importance has disturbed the peace and general prosperity of
the town, other than the great civil strife of 1860, the deplorable consequences
of which reached every hamlet in the country. This town was called upon to
contribute her men and means to the support of the government in the day of
strife and nobly responded, as the reader has already learned from the chapter
devoted to the military record of the county.
The population of the town
is now slowly increasing and with the near approach of railroads, the large
annual influx of summer tourists and the sure beneficence of extended and more
successful farming, its future growth is assured.
The "warning" for the
first town meeting for the division of the town, i. e., setting it off from
Crown Point, designated the house of Israel Johnson as the place for the
gathering to be held and the first Tuesday in April, 1804, as the date. The
object of the meeting as expressed in the records was "to see if the inhabitants
wishes to be divided into two towns, and do any other business thought
necessary." The call was signed by Benjamin Pond, justice, Elijah Garfield,
Daniel Cushman, Augustus Cleaveland, Samuel Scribner, and Simeon Rawson. Among
the names which appear prominent in the public records of those days (some of
them, doubtless, belonging in what is now Minerva as that was then a part of
Schroon) are Israel Johnson, Wolcott Tyrrell, Mijah Smith, Joseph Dunn, Benjamin
Pond, William Hill, Deodorus Holcomb, and others. Elijah Garfield was the first
town clerk and the neatness and precision of the town record testifies to his
intelligence and expertness.
At the first town meeting it was voted,
among other matters, that "any sheep ram found on the commons from the tenth of
November to the first of December, shall be forfeit to the taker up of old ram."
At the meeting in 1809 it was voted "that the poor money be hired out for the
benefit of purchasing a Merino ram." This indicates an early interest in blooded
It was also voted early in the history of the town "that it shall
be counted an honorable act for any Man to complain of any Man that makes havoc
of the Deer contrary to law in this town." Eight dollars were voted as a bounty
for killing wolves. The first two town meetings were held at the house of Israel
Johnson and the next one at Thomas Leland's. In the old records the town is set
down as "Scaroon." Among other names that seem to bear some prominence in the
early records are those of Edmund Jincks, James Swinnerton, Nathan West, Samuel
Norton, Jed. Halliday, Abial and Aibro Tripp, John Baker, and others. In 1813
the town comprised seven school districts. By the year 1820, after the
separation of Minerva from it, we find the following names among those holding
office and otherwise appearing prominent in the records: Elisha Baker, David
Stowell, Wolcott Tyrrell, Benjamin Barnes, James Tubbs, Jabez Smith, Wm. B.
Everest, Ebenezer Bailey, Samuel Whittemore, Wm. Armistead, etc. (We have
followed the spelling of these names as it appears in the records.)
first officers elected in the town were as follows:
Pond; town clerk, Elijah Garfield; assessors, Albro Tripp, John Toms and Nathan
B. Johnson; collectors, Diadorus Holcomb and George Moore; commissioners of
highways, Elijah Barnes, Thomas Leland and Joseph Dunn; overseer of the poor,
George Moore and James Houghton; constables, Diadorus Holcomb, John Potter,
Augustus Cleveland and Elisha Baker; fence viewers, Randall Farr, Israel
Johnson, James Swinnerton and Cornelius Traver.
Following is a list of
the supervisors of the town from the date of its formation to the present time,
with their terms of service: 1804, Benjamin Pond; 1805 to 1808 inclusive, Joseph
Dunn; 1809, Salmasius Bordwell; 1810, Mijah Smith; 1811, Israel Johnson; 1812 to
1818 inclusive, Wolcott Tyrrell; 1819, John Baker, jr.; 1820, Wolcott Tyrrell;
1821 and 1822, Elihu Phelps; 1823 to 1825 inclusive, John Baker, jr.; 1826,
Clark Rawson; 1827 to 1832 inclusive, Wolcott Tyrrell; 1833 to 1836 inclusive,
Hiram Wilson; 1837, Clark Rawson; 1838 to 1840 inclusive, Abijah Smith, jr.;
1841, Clark Rawson; 1842, Abijah Smith, Jr.; 1843 to 1845 inclusive, Clark
Rawson; 1846 and 1847, Daniel Pratt; 1848 and 1849, Erastus B. Potter; 1850,
Andrew L. Ireland; 1851 and 1852, William J. Hayward; 1853, Barton Baker; 1854
and 1855, Daniel Pratt; 1856 and 1857, Ryla Tyrrell; 1858 to 1860 inclusive,
Joel F. Potter; 1861 William J. Hayward; 1862, Cyrus L. Blanchard; 1863, J. M.
Leland; 1864, Joel F. Potter; 1865 and 1866, James M. Leland; 1867 to 1869
inclusive, Benjamin F. Wickham; 1870 and 1871, Benijah Tyrrell; 1872 to 1874
inclusive, Freeman N. Tyrrell; 1875, Paris S. Russell; 1876 and 1877, William J.
Leland; 1878, W. G. Leland; 1879, Myron C. Pitkins; 1880, William G. Leland;
1881 and 1882, Benjamin F. Wickham; 1883 and 1884, Darwin L. Weeks; 1885, Myron
Following are the present officers of the town: Supervisor,
M. C. Pitkins town clerk, William H. Barnett; assessor, John F. Young; overseer
of the poor, Benjamin 0. Barnes; commissioner of highways, C. M. Warren;
collector, J. D. Burwell; justices, W. E. Rooney, A. S. Nichols, James 0.
Whitney, S. Reynolds; constables, Darius C. Burzee, Elijah Smith, Darius Hill,
L. J. Garfield, C. C. Swain; inspectors of election, Charles H. Knox, L. D.
Young; commissioner of excise, H. H. Smith; game constable, Alexander Bostwick;
auditor, Orrin Harris.
Churches. - It is quite common to find that
the Methodist Episcopal Society secures organization and a religious foothold in
new communities in advance of other sects. Such was the case in this town. The
Cambridge Circuit, as it is called, was formed early in the century and included
parts of the present town of Schroon. Daniel Bromlev was the first preacher. He
was succeeded by a Mr. Bull, Lewis Pease and George W. Densmore. Meetings were
then held either in private houses or the little school-houses. In 1809 the
circuit was divided, and Schroon included in the Warren Circuit. Revs. Lansford
Whiting, Mr. Pierce, Tobias Spicer, Elijah Hibbard, Daniel J. Wright and Sherman
Miner were the preachers here until 1818 Daniel Brayton then came and with
others filled the time to 1825. Then followed Joseph Eames and Jacob Beeman,
1826-27; Nathan Rice, 1827-28; Merritt Bates, 1828-29; Seymour Colman, 1829-30,
and re-appointed; Joseph McCreery, 183 1-32, and re-appointed; Reuben Wescott,
1833-34; William Richards, 1835-36, and re-appointed; in 1837 the circuit was
permanently divided and the Schroon Circuit formed. From 1837 to 1841 Benjamin
Pomeroy was the pastor; Ezra Sayre, 1841-42; Jedediah Burnham, 1843-44, and
re-appointed; Joseph Conor, 1845-46; Chester Lyon, 1847-48; Samuel Hughes,
1849-50; Gideon Townsend, 1851-52; D. E. Noble, 1853; Daniel Rose, 1854-55 Caleb
Stevens, 1856-57; in the last mentioned year Schroon was made to constitute the
circuit, and J. B. Searle was the pastor for 1858-59; J. F. Crowl, 1860-61 ; D.
W. Gould, 1861-62; A. Robbins, 1863-64; W. W. Foster, 1865-66; G. S. Gold,
1867-68; Alfred Eaton, 1869-70.
The first class was formed at South
Schroon in 1811, and others soon followed at Paradox and "Charley Hill." In
December, 1834, the society at Schroon Lake was incorporated as "The First M. E.
Church of Schroon," at the Baker street school-house. The first trustees were B.
S. Warren, Thomas Leland and B. R. Seaman. The first church was at once erected
near the present burying-ground and occupied until 1853, when it was taken down
and removed to the village at a cost of $1,435. In 1867 it was refitted and
furnished at a cost of $550. In 1841 an acre of land adjoining the church was
purchased at a cost of $6o for a parsonage, which was built during the same
year. From the year 1870 to the present time the pastors have been as follows:
1871, J. S. Mott, to 1873; 1874, E. Potter; 1875-76, R. Patterson; 1877, William
H. Groat; 1878, Mr. Spencer; 1879, M. Adsit; 1880-81, C. J. Mott; 1882-83, A. V.
Marshall; 1884, G. H. Van Dusen; 1885, H. M. Munsee. The present church officers
are - Trustees, J. M. Leland, H. J. Culver, D. Hill, H. H. Smith. Stewards -
James M. Leland, recording steward; Hoel Richards. Class leaders - J. M. Leland,
Elijah Rounds, E. Warren. The church includes classes at Paradox, South Schroon,
Charley Hill and Hoffmann's. At these places services are held in school-houses.
Episcopal Church. - The Episcopal Church of Schroon Lake was organized
November 12th, 1878, the first members being Bayard Clarke, Jacob Bohrmanri,
Freeman Tyrrell, John Taylor, Joseph Bogle, Joel F. Potter, Benjamin Tripp,
Jarvis Abey, Mr. Benjamin, John Lapierre, Nathaniel Jenks, Bayard Clarke, jr.
The first pastor was Aubrey F. Todrig. He was succeeded by Dr. Williams, W. A.
H. Maybin, and the present pastor, Rev. Henry A. Freeman. The church edifice was
erected in 1878 at a cost of $6oo. It was afterwards enlarged, a tower, chancel
and vestry added and a bell put in; also refurnished. The present value of the
church property is about $1,500. A Sunday-school was organized in 1878, of which
B. Squires and John Taylor have been superintendents. The first wardens were
Bayard Clarke and Effingham H. Nichols. The latter holds the office at the
present time. The vestrymen are John Taylor, Benjamin Tripp, Jacob Bohrmann,
Bayard Clarke, jr., Augustus Bogle and Orren Taylor.
Church. -The first Congregational Church of Schroon Lake, was organized in
1829, with the following persons as members: Abijah Smith, Jedediah Rice,
Solomon Stebbins, Caroline Rawson, Lois Dresser, Lois Rice, Stebbins, Margaret
Crocker, Mary Boyd, Abigail Wyman, Minerva Smith, Alvira Stebbins, Lavina Glynn.
The first pastor was Rev. Reuben Willoughby. The church edifice was erected
about the year 1846, at a cost with land of about $3,000. A Sunday-school was
organized, of which Marcus Knapp is the present superintendent. The first deacon
was J. Rice, and he has been succeeded by the following: Charles Churchill,
1830; Abijah Smith, 1833; Asa Foster, 1833; ; Marcus Knapp, 1871; Joseph E.
Sawyer, 1876; George M. Sawyer, 1877. The following have served the church as
pastors: Rev. Reuben Willoughby, one-third of the time in 1830; Rev. Thomas
Haswell, ten months in 1840; Rev. Frederic Graves, one-half the time for one
year, 1841; Rev. Sorel Wood, in 1845; Rev. -Taylor, two-thirds of the time for a
few months in 1849; Rev. David Connell, 1857-1862; Rev. M. Davis, a few months
about 1865; Rev. D. H. Gould, 1871-1873; Rev. D. M. Seward, D.D., summers of
1873 and 1874; Rev. D. T. Williams, a short time in 1876; Rev. N. H. Bell, six
months, 1877; Rev. George L. Dickinson, commenced labor with the church, March,
1878; 1878-1885, supplied only in summer by various ministers. The church is
supplied during the summer of 1885 by the Rev. J. E. McConnell. The present
trustees are Dwight CPasco and Lansford Whitney. Deacons, Marcus Knapp, George
W. Sawyer and John H. Pitkin.
Catholic. - The Catholic Church of this
place was built in 1883, and a society of considerable strength is maintained.
Father Blanchard was the first pastor in charge, and the church is now served by
Father Le Grand, of Minerva.
Baptist. - The old Baptist Church, about two
miles north of the village, was built in the year 1836 by the then existing
society; this was the first church society organized in the town, its date being
1830. Charles Harris, one of the prominent lumbermen of that period, was largely
instrumental in the erection of this church. The society was dissolved many
years ago, and the church is only used for occasional funerals.
We have already alluded to the settlement of Simeon Rawson
about a mile north of the site of Schroon Lake village, where he established a
tannery, kept a tavern, etc., in early days. Here also was established the first
post-office early in the century, and Mr. Rawson was the first postmaster. When
he removed to the lake in 1818, the office went with him and he was succeeded by
Safford Rawson in the position of postmaster; the latter was in the office in
1830 and it continued in the family until 1840. The next official was Gay W.
Lee, who kept it in part of his store. Craig Beebe succeeded him and he was
followed for a short period by Abram Van Benthuysen. In the spring of 1853
Ashley P. Rawson took the office for eight years (1861), when he was succeeded
by Carlos Bailey, and he by William C. Potter. Since then Theodore Kinyon, John
Taylor, Joel F. Potter and the present incumbent, John D. Burwell, have
conducted the office.
Abijah Smith, who has been mentioned as an early
settler a little north of the present village, sold goods in a part of his house
and also kept an inn. This was about the first mercantile business in the town.
Horace Hall, who has been spoken of as the builder of a forge, also kept a store
there while he continued to operate the forge; this property was afterwards
transferred to Charles Harris. These stores were the principal ones in town for
a number of years. Later Ansel Chipman established a little trade at the foot of
Paradox lake and kept it a number of years. He sold to William Stowell and the
business was abandoned by him. The building was transformed into Potter's Hotel
now kept at that place.
The first store established at Schroon Lake
village was run by Gay Washington Lee, who came here from Bridport, Vt. His
place of business was in the old Wickham House, which was originally built by a
man named Crocker, whose daughter was Lee's wife. Lee sold out his goods to
Charles Harris who removed the stock to Schroon Falls. The next merchant was
James Fowler, who traded in what is now Taylor's shoe shop. J. M. Leland kept a
general store in the Wickham House more than forty years ago and after one year
removed into the building where Taylor's shoe shop is. He then built on the lot
adjoining Mr. Barnett's present store and remained there many years. Josiah
Rawson kept an early store on the site of the Ondawa House. A store was
established on the union plan where J. H. Pitkin & Brother are now located many
years ago, in which enterprise Hannibal Holden was conspicuous. William C.
Potter was secured to conduct the store. After this enterprise had its day, the
store was occupied in turn by Whitney & Bogle, Whitney & Mead, Philo Pitkin,
Pitkin & Clute (M. C. Pitkin and W. Clute), M. C. Pitkin & Co., and the present
enterprising and successful firm, J. H. Pitkin & Brother. Pitkin & Taylor began
business in a general store in March, 1864 (Lewis Pitkin and Robert Taylor).
They succeeded Philo Pitkin and he Clute & Smith, who built the store. William
H. Barnett keeps a hardware store, the only one in the place. He erected his own
building and began trade in 1881. In the jeweler's trade D. C. Bailey began in
1855 on the site of the burned store. He occupied his present location in 1883.
G. W. Taylor carries on harness-making, having begun in 1883. The grist-mill
here is operated by H. B. Drake and the steam saw-mill by W. S. Fowler. A
furniture store is kept by Myron C. Pitkin, and James M. Leland dispenses the
drugs that are needed by the inhabitants. J. Bohrmann has a furniture
manufactory and store a little out of the village.
Schroon Lake boasts
several first-class hotels, the many guests of which make the summer season one
of activity and profit. Josiah Rawson built the old Schroon Lake House many
years ago on the site of the Ondawa House; it was the first tavern of any
consequence in the place. Hiram Blanchard afterwards bought the property and he
sold to Paris Russell, a man who did much during his comparatively short life,
to advance the interests of the town. Mr. Russell had a partner in John Conley,
the latter conducting the house a short time, when they erected the present
commodious house. It was sold to John D. Burwell, who has now kept it about
fifteen years. The Leland House, one of the largest and most attractive houses
in this section, was built in 1 872 by William G. Leland, son of James M.
Leland. It accommodates about two hundred and twenty-five guests and was
successfully conducted by the builder until 1884. It is now kept by Lorenzo
Locke to the satisfaction of its large patronage. The Lake House was built in
1874 by Elisha Wickham, and was first called the Wickham House. Harry T. Abey
bought the property in 1876 and has kept it since, making it a popular resort.
It accommodates about one hundred guests and is pleasantly situated. The Windsor
House is the outgrowth of a building that was formerly kept for the
accommodation of guests by C. F. Taylor. He enlarged the house, and kept it for
a number of years. William McKenzie and L. Y. Jenness kept it for about two
years each and the present proprietor, E. E. Hunter, took charge of it in 1884.
Guests for these houses are brought up the lake, if coming from the south, in
the steamer Effingham, which was built for Mr. Russell about six years ago.
Other business interests in this vicinity are the blacksmith and carriage shop
of L. C. Lockwood & Son, situated at the old Lockwood place before described,
where the pioneer, Jeremiah Lockwood, also had one of the first wagon-shops in
the town, L. C. Lockwood made the first steel spring wagon in the town, which
was considered quite a curiosity. He also ran a clothing-mill at the site of the
Platt homestead many years ago. H. C. Holden, son of Hannibal Holden, has a feed
store north of the village, where he had a wagon-shop for a number of years.
Elijah Holden does blacksmithing.
Physicians. - In early years
people were sick and needed the beneficent care of the physician the same as in
modern days; and the country doctor of pioneer times found a different task
before him from that which employs his more fortunate successors. His ride was
often over two or three large towns where roads were bad, even if there were any
at all; his patients were many of them poor and his arduous labor often
unrewarded. Dr. Hale practiced in this town when the country was new and lived
near the old Baptist Church. He was drowned in Paradox lake. Dr. Harvey Page
came here next and practiced for many years. Dr. Tubbs practiced here for a time
and went to. Chestertown. Dr. Fritchard settled below the village, and Dr. Hiram
Potter, who came from Clarendon, Vt., as a school teacher, though an educated
physician, practiced for many years and is remembered as one of nature's
noblemen. The present physicians of the place are Dr. E. S. Bullis, who studied
in the University of Vermont and graduated from the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Iowa. He came to Schroon in 1885. Dr. D. Palmer studied at Dartmouth
and graduated from the university at Burlington, Vt. He came to Schroon in 1869,
but was away from 1874 to 1881.
The present school building of this
village was erected in 1866. It consists of three apartments, two school-rooms
and a large hail above for school uses. There are two departments in the school.
Masonic. - The Schroon Lake Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was instituted
September 6th, 1815. A brief sketch of the lodge will be found in chapter
South Schroon. - This is a post-office and hamlet on
the shore of the lake about four miles south of Schroon Lake village. James L.
Huntley is postmaster and keeps a store in connection. He succeeded Jackson
Taylor. There is no other business here.
There are two other post-offices
in the town. Paradox, situated at the head of Paradox lake, was established
about five years ago; Orrin Harris is postmaster. Loch Muller is in the west
part of the town, and was established but a few years ago. Laben Burbank is